“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." Matthew 5:6
At the risk of sounding a little cynical, I have to tell you that I sometimes wonder if some of our holidays have been created by those who can make a financial killing off of them. Did someone really want to celebrate their mom, or was it a conspiracy between FTD and Hallmark Cards that launched Mother’s Day? And who was it in marketing that thought up Father’s Day, Boss’ Day, and Administrative Professionals Day? Brilliant!!
So, given my bent toward thinking like the Grinch who stole Christmas, you can imagine my enthusiasm when hearing on the radio that it was “National Buy Yourself a Toy Day”! Let me say that again, for real, National Buy Yourself a Toy Day—as though we needed encouragement to get the next best thing that our neighbors have!
I guess it wouldn’t be so bad if we were talking about another Xbox video adventure. But as they say, the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys! So I’m wondering what your next toy might be now that we have a day set aside that gives us permission to indulge ourselves. Could it be that fast new car, that longed-for riding mower, a bigger boat, or the biggest TV screen in the neighborhood? I’m sure you get the picture! But when NBYAT day is over, what then? As a Citibank ad recently reminded us, “Why is it that our I need that soon becomes ‘what on earth was I thinking?’” I guess we’ve forgotten that “He who dies with the most toys is still dead!”
So, given our bent to fan our already out-of-check consumerism by masking our greed with a national holiday, let me join the party and mark some special days on the calendar that might make a huge haul for the kingdom. How about:
- National Love Your Neighbor Day
- National Forgive Your Enemy Day
- Do Something About Poverty Day
- National Encourage Your Pastor Day
- National Commit One Act of Selfless Love Day
- National Stick Up for Jesus Day
- The Father’s Day
- National Widows Day
- National Feed the Hungry Day
- Love the Lost Day
- Make a Sinner Your Friend Day
- Hug Someone Who’s Not Like You Day
- Sing a Contemporary Worship Song in the Shower Day (for everyone over 65)
- Sing a Great Hymn of the Faith in the Shower Day (for everyone under 40)
If we sat around a table to strategize advancing the cause of Christ by setting aside special days to live like He leads us to live, we might just accumulate great riches for the work of His kingdom in our world!
So, how about it?! Make your own list or take one of my nifty ideas (or were they God’s ideas?) and mark your calendar to make a difference for Jesus today!
- Which of the “kingdom holidays” listed above would be the easiest for you to celebrate? Why?
- Which of the “kingdom holidays” would be the most challenging for you? Why?
- What can you do today to actively seek first His kingdom (Matthew 6:33)?