"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me." John 10:27
Hearing voices has to be the most haunting of all the mental disorders. After all, which voice do you listen to? Talk about massive confusion! But before you think that you are among the blessed ones who don’t hear voices, think again. Today will be full of voices that compete for a piece of your life. Your boss, your spouse, your children, close friends, advertisements, and talk shows all will bombard your psyche with conflicting advice or demands.
It’s not just the voices on the outside. No matter how sane you think you are, we all have inner voices that compete for control; voices that are not always positive. I confess to hearing the compelling whispers of the dark side of my heart on a regular basis. Whispers that advise and plan ways for me to live for my own advantage. Whispers that convincingly argue that a life lived by the lure of my desires is life at its best. Whispers that tell me I am clever enough not to get caught, that nobody is perfect, that God understands my weakness and will forgive me. Tell me that I am not alone and that you can identify!
I have learned that when those kinds of inner voices dominate, I often look back in regret and shame for letting them grab the control levers of my life. They promise me life at its best but consistently leave me empty, disappointed, guilty and embarrassed.
That’s why I am forever grateful that there is a voice within that I can trust. A single voice that puts all the other voices into perspective. A voice that speaks wisdom clearly and confidently. A voice that has my best interest in mind and wants to lead me to life at its best.
Over the years as I have followed the advice and counsel of that voice, I have never been disappointed. It hasn’t always been easy advice, and sometimes it hasn’t made a lot of sense—like telling me that I should forgive someone who has hurt me or that I need to die to myself—but it has reliably been the right advice.
It’s the voice of Jesus. When you get on line in your heart to hear His voice and His alone, you will be liberated from the conflicting voices that in the end you really can’t trust. Thankfully, He has given you all the equipment you need. Talk about high tech! The indwelling Holy Spirit actually lives within you to guide you as you walk through this world and to decode God’s word as you read it. He speaks to your mind, heart, and conscience as your eyes scan the lines of the bestselling how-to-live book ever written.
So put the “earbuds” in and tune to the one frequency where you are loved and led to life as God meant it be—life at it’s best!
Remember, His is the only voice you can finally and fully trust. He loves you and died to prove it!
Download and live!
- What voices in your life compete with Jesus for your attention?
- When there is a “voice” that prompts you to react or act in a certain way, do you stop to discern whether the voice is that of your Shepherd?
- Remember that His voice is always consistent with His Word, the Bible. In fact, the more you are in His Word, the more regularly He speaks to you.
- Create an attitude of listening for His voice by consciously turning your heart’s ear toward Him in critical moments. Learn the joy of pressing the pause button in your “fast-forward” life often enough to be still and know that He is speaking.
- In a journal, write down what God says to you so that you can go back and remember, like reading old love letters!
- Prayer is a two-way conversation. Stop talking periodically to listen to what He is saying.